Advertise Here
Advertise Here
Advertise Here


Written by: on Saturday, October 25th, 2008


Some nights it’s all about the bounce and tonight, the bounce went the way of the Blue Devils. In a game that meant nothing more than pride and playoff seeding, Bellwood showed the Trojans how to play the bounce. Trailing 7-0 after a 1st quarter 3 yard td run by Trojan running back Malakia Jackson, which was set up by a 37 yard interception return to the Bellwood 3 by Todd Walker, the Blue Devils kept the Trojans pinned deep in their own territory with some very fortunate bounces.

Taking the ball on the Mt Union 33 following a Trojan punt, Bellwood quickly scored on a 13 yard pass from Nate Gray to Tim Collier. The pat failed and the score was 7-6 in favor of Mt. Union nearing the end of the 2nd quarter. The Trojans would take the ball move deep into Blue Devil territory but ran out of time and the score remained 7-6 at the half.

The second half was all bounce for Bellwood. The Blue Devils came out and on the first play used some trickery with Gray tossing to Trey Mock who then heaved the ball down field to a leaping Kyle Canfield. He made the catch as did the defender and as they fell to the ground at the Trojan 24 possession was given to the receiver setting up a first and ten forĀ  Bellwood. The Blue Devils failed to score on 7 tries and Mt. Union took over on their own 3. Two plays later Mt. Unions stellar running back Zack Hicks, who was held to 82 yards on 22 carries, fumbled the ball and Adam Kovac recovered the bouncing ball. 3 plays later Zack McCaulley ran 3 yards to paydirt and again the pat failed but Bellwood held a 12-7 lead. Unfortunately for Mt. Union, they would have to get used to starting deep in their own territory.

Their next possession began at their own 5 following an interception of a long pass by Bellwoods Nate Gray. The Trojans moved the ball to the 44 but on 4th and 7 to start the 4th quarter, the snap from center for the punt bounced off the ground and as the kicker tried to get the punt off it was blocked and recovered by Bellwood at the Trojan 17. 2 plays later Nick Degol broke free off the left side and ran 15 yards for the score. Following the pat Bellwood had a 19-6 lead with 9 minutes left in the game.

Mt. Union then got the ball on their own 14 and on 3rd and 14 from their own 27 Trojan qb Jimmy Smith was intercepted at the 40. Bellwood failed to move the ball but the ensuing punt bounced to the Trojan 3 yard line where they would take over with 4 minutes left in the game. Trojan qb Jimmy Smith did a good job leading his team down field and ended the drive with a 15 yard td pass to Jackson with 1 minute left in the game but during the following onside kick the ball again bounced Bellwoods way and the Blue Devils ran out the clock giving them a 19-14 victory. Next week both teams will enter District 6 playoffs with to be determined opponents.

Follow on Twitter @WPAFootball

Leave a Reply