Advertise Here
Advertise Here
Advertise Here

Golden Eagles Fly Away From Bellefonte, 42-8

Written by: on Friday, September 17th, 2010

Western PA Writer

BELLEFONTE — When the Bellefonte and Tyrone football teams squared off against each other Friday night, it was a battle of early season unbeatens.

Going into the game, both teams sported 2-0 records. However, coming out, that was where the similarity of the two teams ended as the Golden Eagles smacked the Red Raiders, 42-8, before a capacity crowd at Rogers Stadium.

“I said all week that they are the most organized and well-disciplined team we have on our schedule,” said Bellefonte head coach Duffy Besch. “I don’t think their wins were truly indicative of what they are capable of producing and I tried to instill that in our kids all week.”

One week ago, the Eagles were tested as they were pushed to the limit by Lewistown in a 21-14 win in what at the time was somewhat of a surprise.

“I think they sort of got caught by Lewistown, at least I think that is what happened,” said Besch. “They showed tonight they weren’t going to get caught twice, but that is the way it goes. The thing I took away from this game is we didn’t quit. At halftime, you wouldn’t have known from the attitude of our kids that we were down 35-0.”

The Golden Eagles flapped their wings right out of the chute as they scored on their first four possessions, tailback Christian Getz doing the honors for the first three on runs of five, 7 and 3 yards before Zachary Burke bulled his way into the end zone with eight minutes left in the first half for a 28-0 Tyrone lead.

Down by 28, the Raiders drove to the Tyrone 28-yard line with time winding down in the opening half, but a Tyler Lucas pass was intercepted by Charles Wilson to keep the Raiders off the board.

Following Wilson’s theft, the Eagles again went on a scoring march that resulted in a Steve Franco run of five yards for the touchdown, and with Jared Templeton’s fifth PAT, the scoreboard read Tyrone 35, Bellefonte 0 with three seconds left before the intermission.

Not only were the Raiders put behind the 8-ball with the Tyrone offensive onslaught in the opening half, they also suffered injuries to three starters as Malik Breon, Eli Ritchey and Corey Ross watched better than half of the game from the sidelines.

“We talked about depth and depth is still one of our issues,” said Besch. “We are pretty solid and have some good kids, but we get thin at certain places. We are bringing the kids along as fast as we can and the younger kids have matured a lot. They have stepped up in many ways and I think we are going to see them progress quicker and they are going to have to. We are going to get healthy, and once that happens, we’ll be all right.”

A quick look at the halftime stats would indicate the Tyrone domination in the opening 24 minutes as the Eagles totaled 280 yards offense while holding the Raiders to just 28 yards through the airways and a negative 20 yards rushing.

Holding the comfortable 35-0 lead with a running clock, the Eagles completed their scoring when Derrick Emigh electrified the crowd by returning the second-half kickoff 96 yards to the house. Templeton’s kick made it 42-0 Tyrone.

After having more than its share of problems coming up with any type of consistency on offense in the first half, the Raiders displayed their “never quit” attitude in the second half as they battled until the final seconds ticked off the clock.

After having the -20 yards rushing in the opening half, the Raiders finished with 24 on the positive side, while in the passing department, they had 56 at halftime before finishing with 104 for the game.

“We have talked since day one about finishing things,” Besch said. “I mentioned to them about finishing drills and finishing games, and the one thing I tell them all the time is that no matter the odds are, you have to finish. This was a gut check for us and a big test for us and that is what we used it as. I could have been prouder of the kids. They did a phenomenal job and it was good to see them come and fight hard right to the end.”

Not to be held off the scoreboard, the Raiders scored their only touchdown of the game with 3:49 left in the contest when reserve quarterback Bill Thompson went in from one yard out for the score.

Starting quarterback Tyler Lucas hit Torin Miller with a nice pass over the middle in a crowd for the two-point conversion to set the final.

Now 2-1, the Raiders will host Juniata Friday night at Rogers Stadium. Kickoff for that clash is set for 7 p.m.

Follow on Twitter @WPAFootball

Leave a Reply